Lay the Foundation with some Viewing:
- Discovering Psychology: The Mind-Awake & Asleep
- Crash Course #8: Consciousness
- Crash Course #9: To Sleep, Perchance to Dream
- Crash Course #10: Altered States
- What Happens If You Don’t Sleep? (:5 mins)
Well, we might as well start with the fun stuff: DREAMS!
- Sleep & Dreams Survey Exercise
- Analyzing Your Dreams Exercise
- Dream Journal Assignment
- Dream Theory Handout
- Dream Theories Slides (Powerpoint compliments of Mr. Miller)
An interesting dream interpretation exercise…
Before clicking one of the links below, pick ONE (1) of the options. Once you’ve made your selection, click the link, read the dream scenario, and write your interpretation.
Sleep is Serious Business…
- Why Do We Dream? New Theory on How It Protects Our Brains
- Eyes Wide Open: Think You Can Get Away With Missing Out on Sleep? Think Again.
- Sleep, Learning & Memory (Harvard Med)
- Sleep & Teens: How Much Sleep is Enough? (Johns Hopkins Med)
- How Many Hours Of Sleep Is Enough – Age Chart
- Cave Experiment: Losing Track of Time
- Light & Circadian Rhythm: The Key to a Good Night’s Sleep?
- Scientists Achieve Real-Time Communication Breakthrough With Lucid Dreamers
- Hidden Brain : NPR
- Smartphones Are Making Today’s Teens Unhappy, Psychologist Says : Shots – Health News : NPR
- Want to Fall Asleep Fast? Try The 4-7-8 Method (Vogue)
Mindfulness & More…
- Inside an Olympian Mind
- Olympians, Surgeons & Toddlers Have Used This Technique to Improve Focus (:10 mins)
- How An Olympian Climber Manages Her Anxiety to Get in the Zone- “Flow” (:8 mins)
- How An Armless Archer Trains His Brain To Win Olympic Medals (:10 mins)
- Anxious? Here’s a Mindfulness Tool Called RAIN (NPR :15 mins)
- Need a Stress Reliever? Try These Surprising Science-Based Strategies (WaPo)